Ingredients4 cups cut up okra 1 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Vegetable Cooking oil, enough to cover okra completely in frying pan - see note *
* I used coconut oil for a healthier option and it did not change the flavor
Directions1. Heat oil in large frying pan on medium heat. Use a pan large enough not to crowd the okra.
2. Chop okra into 1 inch pieces.
3. Beat egg lightly in a bowl and add the okra. Stir to coat okra with egg and let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Place the cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper in a separate large bowl and mix
5. Dredge the okra in the cornmeal mix to cover all sides of okra with mix.
6. Place one piece of okra in the hot oil and check that it immediately bubbles and sizzles. If not, the oil is not hot enough. Increase heat until you get the bubbles when adding one piece of okra.
7. If oil temperature is O.K., add all the okra
8. Cook the okra, stirring frequently to make sure it does not burn. Place on a paper towel to drain excess oil.