|A healthier version of this classic casserole and it tastes better, no more can beans and soup!|
2 - pounds of fresh French style Green beans from the produce section
3 - cups Homemade Cream of Mushroom soup. * recipe below
2.8 - ounces of French`s Fried Onions
pepper to taste
* Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of finely minced onion
- 1/4 cup of finely minced celery
- 12 ounces of fresh button mushrooms cleaned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the onion and celery over medium heat until tender but not browned. Stir in the chopped mushrooms and salt; cook and stir about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the flour a little at a time until fully incorporated, about 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium high and slowly add the broth a little at a time, until fully incorporated. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Slowly stir in half and half. And set aside
Next...Steam the green beans till slightly tender, don`t over cook and drain.
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
In a large bowl measure out 3 cups of soup and place in the bowl, add pepper and the beans and mix. Place in a 9 x 13 baking dish and top with the fried onions and bake for 30 min. or until bubbly.
* Extra soup can be frozen, after it is frozen and you want to use use, thaw it at room temperature, then place in a sauce pan on low- med heat and stir often.